Sunday 20 November 2011

Hi from Taipei :)

So the Hussey family went to the Brisbane airport last night at about 8:30pm. We realised after a while that I hadn't organised any travel insurance, and had a very hectic hour or so of frantically trying to apply for it using mum and dad's 'smart phones'. I know recognise that there might be some kind of use for these phones, because I'm pretty sure my phone couldn't do that.

I got on the flight and sat next to a young man who called himself 'Elvis' and we soon became best friends. He is returning to Taiwan for the first time in 5 years to see his grandmother because she is very sick and might pass away soon. We finally arrived in Taipei, shared an awkward goodbye (how do you say goodbye to someone that you will never see again when you've just been sitting with them for ten hours???) and then I set off to find the 'company driver' who was going to be picking me up.


If you've ever seen the How I Met Your Mother episode where we find out about Marshall and Lily's cute tradition of picking each other up from the airport with a little name card, then you know exactly what I was expecting. I was sadly disappointed. The driver did have a little card, and he was very nice and took my bag outside, but then he said, 'Wait... wait...' and then put my bag down and ran across 6 lanes of traffic, leaving me standing outside the airport. I watched as he jumped through a flower garden and climbed over a 4ft concrete divider. Slightly confused, I sat down on my suitcase and began to wonder what on earth was going on. I was really sleep deprived, so it didn't really worry me too much. He came back about 15mins later and all was well, but I didn't ask him where he went.

We drove through Taipei just as the sun was coming up, and I was frantically trying to catch a glimpse of what the city looks like. So far my impression is that it is somewhere between Singapore and Guangzhou. It's definitely nothing like Shanghai or Beijing from what I've seen yet. I'm pretty keen to go exploring.

Now I've arrived at my dad's cousin Peter's house, and it's currently 7:30am. Their house is lovely, but there is a fluffy dog like creature that keeps appearing and licking me which is making me slightly nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment